The Economic Impact of Nuclear Energy
- Each reactor employs hundred of employees and contributes nearly a half billion dollars to their local economy.
- Employ more than 2,155 highly skilled employees
- Annual payroll of $144 million
- Nationwide, nuclear Energy facilities typically pay 36% more than the average salaries in the local area.
- More than $1.25 billion of materials, services and fuel for the nuclear energy industry are purchased annually from more than 1,050 Virginia companies.
- Global and domestic growth in the nuclear energy industry each year adds thousands of high‐paying, long‐term jobs for American workers.
Nuclear Energy in Virginia
- There are four operating nuclear reactors at two power plants all operated by Dominion
- North Anna, Louisa County
- Surry, Surry County
- Virginia’s nuclear reactors have operated safely for more than 40 years.
- Nuclear energy provides 39% of the Virginia’s electricity, the largest share of energy from any source.
- Nuclear energy accounts for 99% of the state’s clean energy generation.