To sustain and enhance the Commonwealth of Virginia as a national and global leader in nuclear energy and serving as an interdisciplinary business development, research, training, and information resource on nuclear energy issues.
To fulfill this mission, VNEC seeks to promote the benefits of nuclear energy and opportunities available for public and private entities to develop partnerships to advance the industry and the commonwealth.
Specifically, the VNEC has been tasked with:
- Promoting and facilitating agreements to carry out research projects relating to nuclear energy, science and technology;
- Identifying and supporting the development of education and training programs to meet the needs of Virginia’s nuclear industry, both for commercial and national security energy needs;
- Encouraging, facilitating, and supporting the application, commercialization, and transfer of new nuclear technologies;
- Providing public information and communication about nuclear energy and related educational and job opportunities.
- Providing advice, assistance, and services to institutions of higher education and to other persons providing services or facilities for nuclear research or graduate education; and
- Fostering innovative partnerships and relationships among the Commonwealth, the Commonwealth’s public institutions of higher education, private companies, federal laboratories, and not-for-profit organizations.
- Assisting the Commonwealth’s Economic Development programs to bring nuclear-related businesses into Virginia.